On Thursday night, 30 October 2015, the Cromer Pier Pavilion Theatre was brought alive by the 10 finalists to North Norfolk’s biggest talent competition. The theatre was packed with supporters of the performers, many of whom had been following the competition since the first heat at the end of the summer. Based on the well known show format the audience knew what to expect and they weren’t disappointed – it was a truly memorable event.
All the acts in the Grand Final had already been through the heats held across North Norfolk during the late summer, and the semi-finals held at Davenport’s Magic Kingdom in October so the high quality of all the performers was already known.
In the first half of the final all 10 acts were given 3 minutes to impress the judges, with compere Joe Ballard from Arts North Norfolk encouraging the judges to offer insightful comments to help the acts prepare for their performance in the second half. This advice was taken on board and all the acts ‘upped their game’ after the interval making the final selection of a winner harder for the judges.
At the end of the show there could only be one winner. The duo Angelo Bernal and Ryan Major performing as GELO were given the M&A Partners trophy. Their performances, “Bring Him Home” from the musical Les Misérables and “Let it Go” from the movie Frozen, really impressed the judges. They have been given an immediate opportunity by David Mackay, one of the judges, to perform in the show the Elvis Years on the 31st October showing the power of the talent competition.
Second prize went to Jack Goodacre who was accompanied on the night by Perry McCabe and Tim Goodacre. Jack was the youngest performer on the night and quickly grabbed the hearts of much of the audience with his performances.
Third prize was given to Olivia Watson, supported on the acoustic guitar by Rob Bindley. The judges commended Olivia for her performance of” On My Own” from LesMisérables.
North Norfolk’s Great Talent, #NNGT, was organised by the Coast Arts Festival in conjunction with the Cromer Pier Pavilion Theatre, Arts North Norfolk and Art is Medicine.
The #NNGT Trophy was created by Annie Lloyd – Art is Medicine – sponsored by M&A Partners in Cromer.
The 4 judges were:
- David Mackay: An Ivor Novello Award winner, David was musical director for many West End successes including 125th Street and Jailhouse Rock and is currently working on many high profile projects, including the Elvis Years. David has produced major hits for some of the biggest names in music including, Bonnie Tyler, Frankie Miller, Billy Ocean, Dusty Springfield, The Bee Gees, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart and Elton John.
- Anna Mudeka: Anna was announced the most influential “Woman in business and government in Africa in the Arts and Culture Section 2013”. Anna set up “The Mudeka Foundation in 2013” which has music at its core.
- Roy Davenport: Roy is a fourth generation magician and member of the Inner Magic Circle with Gold Star. He has won many awards around the world. Roy has won overwhelming acclaim in the world of corporate entertainment and is in high demand as a magician. His reputation is built on his reliability to always deliver the goods; Roy’s flawless presentation of magic is in a class by itself.
- Annie Lloyd: Annie is an accredited trainer, supervisor, facilitator and artist. Annie uses art in her work with children who have been taken into Care and then adopted and their families. Annie has been a Coast Arts trustee since the festival started. Her project Art is Medicine project has encourage people from all walks of life to use their creative sprits to change both their inner lives and external surroundings.
The 10 acts in the #NNGT Grand Final were:
- Winner: Gelo – Male Vocalist Duo (Angelo Bernal and Ryan Major)
- Second: Jack Goodacre – Guitar and Vocals with Tom and Perry supporting
- Third: Olivia Watson – Vocalist Accompanied by guitarist Rob Bindley
- Dylan Wilson – Stand up Comedian
- Lost Talent – dancers from Marlene’s School of Dance
- Elena Ioannou – Vocals with Keyboard
- Tofs – Paul Cooper and Myke Joyce, Acoustic Guitars and vocal
- Danielle Homer – Vocalist
- Into The Crowd – Girl Group, Vocalists with Keyboard (Josie Weller, Megan Howlett, Nyomi Brady and Lydia Gibbs)
- Christina Winters – Vocalist
The 10 Finalists for the 2015 North Norfolk’s Great Talent #NNGT in order of appearance.
Dancers from Marlene’s School of Dance
Vocalist Accompanied by guitarist Rob Bindley
Into The Crowd
Vocalists with Keyboard (Josie Weller, Megan Howlett, Nyomi Brady and Lydia Gibbs)
Stand up Comedian
Guitar and Vocals with Tom and Perry
Vocals with Keyboard
Paul Cooper and Myke Joyce, Acoustic Guitars and vocal
Male Vocalist Duo (Angelo Bernal and Ryan Major)